Wednesday, December 7, 2016
This time of year people think about making changes and resolutions in their lives. I like to include hopes and wishes that what I want will come true. Today I want to write about what wishes I have for our great organization called DMARSPA.
- Right now we have pledged to give two, one thousand dollar scholarships but I hope and dream for three or more.
- Our membership has grown, but I hope and dream that it continues to attract new members especially as we represent a collective voice for retirees and educators.
- There are several dedicated members who give their time to ensure that our group meets monthly with interesting speakers, good food and friendship. I hope and dream that others will step up to replace those who have been dedicated for such a long time.
- There are several members that for whatever reason, do not attend our monthly meeting. I hope and dream they know, they are extremely important and appreciated for their yearly dues.
- For all the volunteers, I hope you know just how much I appreciate you.
- Finally, my last hope and dream is to wish everyone good health, a positive outlook, joy in the little things, peace and love.
Sunday, October 16, 2016
IRSPA has reported the volunteer hours totals for 2015-2016. The 5919 IRSPA members that volunteered reported a total of 413,291 hours for 2015-2016. At a national rate of $23.56 per hour this equals $9,737,135.30 in value, up by $515,104.40 from a year ago. DMARSPA reported 917 hours for youth, 5,657 hours for community totaling 6,574 hours valued at $154,883.44. Remember to record meetings, social get-togethers and phone calls in addition to unpaid care-giving for children and adults. Let's try to increase those totals for next year.
Saturday, August 20, 2016
Monthly luncheons and programs are held at the Forte' Banquet and Conference Center, 615-3rd Street, Des Moines, on the fourth Thursday of each month. There is no meeting in November and the December meeting is on the second Thursday. The meal is catered by Baratta's and the cost is $13. For reservations and cancellations call Dee Fleischacker at 515-221-2759 or email@example.com. Cancellations must be made by 10:00 pm on Monday of the week of a meeting or a charge will be mandatory.
Program is at 10:30 am.
Lunch is at 11:30 a.m.
Business Meeting is at 12:00 pm.
September 22, 2016 The Geology of Iowa
October 5-6, 2016 IRSPA State Meeting in Marshalltown
October 27, 2016 Grotesques and Gargoyles
November NO MEETING
December 8, 2016 Seasonal Music and Sing-a-long
January 26, 2017 Des Moines Police Department
February 23, 2017 Daniel Finney, Des Moines Register Columnist
March 23, 2017 On With Life
April 27, 2017 KCCI Stormchasing
May 25, 2017 Girl Scouts of America
June 22, 2017 Irish Dancers
July 27, 2017 Dorothy's House
August 24, 2017 Iowa Culture, Department of Cultural Affairs